became a Thana in 1860, a Sub-division in 1979 and a District in the year
1984. The total area of Lakshmipur district is 1456 Sq. Km. It is surrounded
by Chandpur in the north, Noakhali sadar in the east, the river Meghna in
the west & south and Bhola Barisal in the south-west. Lakshmipur is
considered by some people as a land of fortune. ‘Lakshmi’ is believed to be
the goddess of fortune. Lakshmipur is situated in the meeting place of the
Meghna and Bay of Bengal.
There are different opinions among the historians regarding the nomenclature of Lakshmipur.
Lakshmipur thana, sub-division and district town is situated at Banchanagar. Historian Kailash Chandra Singh noted in his
book ‘Rajmala’ that Banchanagar Chakla, Shamserabad Mouza and Lakshmipur
Mouza stood side by side. River Rahmatkhali the river Meghna.
Shamserabad is situated in the south and flowing through Shamserabad and
Banchanagar Chakla met Banchanagar chakla in the north of river Rahmatkhali.
Lakshmipur Mouza is situated in the west of the area near Banchanagar Chakla.
most traditional cottage industry
Thus it is proved that Lakshmipur was not within Banchanagar
Chakla. Rather, Lakshmipur Mouza comprised of in the present west ‘Lakshmipur village’ and
adjoining areas. There is a clue to the matter in the history of
fleeing of Shah Suja, son of Moghul Emperor Shahjahan to Arakan
through this area. On 6 may, 1660 Shah Suja left Dhaka and arrived at Dhapa,
8 miles away from Dhaka. Next day he reached Sreepur. On 8 May he left
Sreepur and in the next morning started from Lakshmidaha Pargana and arrived
at a place which was 8 miles away from Bhulua. Shah Suja tried to capture
the Bhulua Port, but failed. On 12 May, 1660 he reached Arakan. In the
story of Shah Suja we get the name of Lakshmidaha Pargana. There is no doubt
that this Lakshmidaha is Lakshmipur. In the year 1694 combined forces of
Mogh Firingi burnt down Bhulua and Islamabad to ashes. This happened
during the time of Subedar Kashim Khan. Generally the Moghs used to attack
from the east. So when Islamabad is mentioned next to Bhulua, it can be
assumed that Islamabad is situated to the west of Bhulua. As the name
of Islamabad fort is mentioned here so it can be said that the fort was at
‘Kaman Khola’. Besides, historian Sir Jadunath Sarker in his observation
mentioned that this ‘Islamabad’ is not the Chittagong Town. It is a
port-city west of Bhulua. Dr. Borah presumed Islamabad as Lakshmipur. Of
course, this was not the Lakshmipur of to-day. The ancient Lakshmipur
was situated on the bank of river Meghna. There is no sign of that portion
of Islamabad-Lakshmipur which was engulfed by the river through erosion. For
the convenience of administration the then ‘Lakshmipur’ was shifted to
Banchanagar Mouza on the bank of river Rahmatkhali. But the name of
‘Lakshmipur’ could not be replaced owing to its popularity. Historian Suresh
Chandra Majumder in his research work ‘Raj Purush Jogibangsha’ narrated
about Raja Goura Kishore Roy Chowdhury, the zeminder of Dalal Bazar. His
ancestors came to Dalal Bazar during the period 1629-1658. Raja Goura
Kishore received the title ‘Raja’ in 1765 from the East India Company. Some
people say that Lakshmipur was named after Lakshminarayan Roy, a descendant
of Raja Goura Kishore Roy.