Home About Us Lakshmipur Dist. Feni Dist. The Lakshmipur Barta Personalities Donors' Profile Contact Us Site Map

Statistical Information
History of Origin
Upazila & P. S.
Naming & Formation
Parliament Members
Transport & Commu.
Telephone Directory
Life Style                
Economic Condition
Industry & Business
Art & Culture           
Liberation War       
Expatriate News
Local News
Reader's Forum
Match Making
Photo Gallery
Guest of the Month
Star Search
Important Links

Naming & Formation


The ancient name of Noakhali is ‘Bhulua’. There is a hearsay that in the year 1125, the Prince of Mithila Bishamber Sur along with his companions went for a pilgrimage to the Chandranath Mandir of Sitakunda, Chittagong with 149 boats. On way back 

Noakhali gate 

A symbol of modern architecture. This gate is standing to welcome and bid farewell to the invitees or tourists.  

the sailors of boats lost the direction and moved hither & thither for 8 days. They then got stuck up at a silted place and anchored there. The Prince Bishamber Sur under divine direction lifted the of Barahi Devi and  placed it there with the sacrifice of goat. That was a foggy day. After appearance of the sun, it was found that the statue got set in the reverse direction. His entourage exclaimed ‘Bhul Hua’,  ‘Bhul Hua’ which meant it was a mistake. From that event the land was called ‘Bhulua’. During the reign of Aurangjeb, the Emperor of Delhi, in the north and east region of  Bhulua there were frequent  floods caused by the river Dakatia. As a result crops were destroyed. In 1660 under the supervision of the  Fausder of Comilla, a new canal was excavated through Ramgonj,  Sonaimuri and Chowmuhani to pass the flood waters. The new  canal was called ‘Noa Khal’ in local terms. In 1868 the land was named as ‘Noakhali’ from the word ‘Noa khal’.